Post High School Series: From High School to College Athletics

Casey Cuozzo pitches for Miami University (Hamilton).

One of the biggest goals for student athletes is to be so good at what they do that they go to college to play the sport they love. Doing so, however, takes a lot of time and practice. Students around the country have played sports like football, baseball, volleyball, and even frisbee and bass fishing at the college level. Students at Ross High School have gone to college for their favorite sports and have witnessed the various differences of high school sports and college sports.

One of the biggest differences between college and high school sports is the time commitment. In high school sports it is common for students to get by just going to the team practices and putting in minimal work to make the team and remain a starter. In college, however, you have to work enough for your sport in order to keep up with the other players and earn your spot on the team. There’s more intensity and stress to perform.

Ross alumnus and freshman track player at Mount St. Joseph, Dylan Hammons, stated, “The biggest difference is the level of competition is vastly harder. I spend about three hours a day on practice and lifting.”

College teams bring in players around many different areas and are there because that is the sport they love and excel in. On the other hand, for high school coaches, they are stuck with only kids from that one specific school which makes it harder to build a successful, winning team.

Another big difference is the fact that you have to get recruited to play sports in college, but in high school you show up to tryouts and hope you’re good enough to play. Getting recruited isn’t easy, though. In order to be seen by colleges you have to get your name out there. Some athletes post highlights and stats on social media like Twitter or email college coaches and hope they are able to come see you play. Another way to get your name out there is to go to college visits and meet the coach.

Ross alumnus and sophomore Miami University (Hamilton) baseball player, Casey Cuozzo, stated, “… it is never too early to try and start getting recruited. Reach out to coaches and ask questions.”

There is also the challenge of balancing homework and sports in both college and high school. No matter what, athletes are going to have school work along with practices, workouts, and games. Sometimes mixing those can become a major headache. You have to make sure to balance both homework and sports.

Even though college may be harder than high school, it’s not impossible. Playing a sport in college can give a student a stress free day while on the field. Doing what you love helps you to calm down and that is exactly what sports can do if you love them so much. College with sports isn’t easy, but it helps to figure out how to get used to a busy schedule and manage time better, as well.

Freshman Taylor University softball player and Ross alumnus, Gracie Elliott, stated, “There really isn’t anything easy about it, and it doesn’t get easier when you get to college, it only gets harder. The difference is that you learn to manage the difficulty better. Everyone is capable of great things, but it is up to you to believe it. I always tell the boys where I train at, half of doing something is believing that you can.”

If you love the sport you play and dream of going to college to play it, then do everything you can to make that a reality. Get your name out there to scouts and coaches by sending them emails or going on college trips, work your butt off whenever you can, and never give up. As long as you believe it, you can do it.