Ross High Times

• Logan Iams places third at 182lbs, leading to state qualification.

• Alex Coleman wins District Championship at 285 lbs!

• Come out to support the Prom Fashion Show Fri. March 8 at 7pm!

• Check out our Ross High Times New Year's Edition in print!

• Ross and Badin football teams raised over $3,000 for Children's Hospital Psychiatry Division.

New Faces Bring New Energy to Great American Ballpark

Derek+Dietrich+celebrates+a+go+ahead+3+run+home+run+on+opening+day+against+the+Pittsburgh+Pirates.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Derek Dietrich celebrates a go ahead 3 run home run on opening day against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Cincinnati Reds

Cincinnati Reds

Cincinnati Reds

Keegan Nickoson, Sports Editor

The Cincinnati Reds made a huge splash during the offseason, acquiring big name players via trade and free agency. However, was it enough to bring winning baseball back to the Queen City?

The Reds began the 2019 offseason by hiring former San Francisco front office executive David Bell. Bell and his family are originally from Cincinnati where David attended Archbishop Moeller High School. The position came open after the Reds finished the 2018 season at 67-95.

Bell told MLB.com, “There was no decision to make, because of the connection. It was something that was in my heart. It was an amazing phone call to get.”

Bell went right to work hiring former Los Angeles Dodgers hitting coach Turner Ward, and former Milwaukee Brewers pitching coach Derek Johnson to the same positions.

“We were interested to see where that would take us. We thought that some new voices in the clubhouse and a variety of perspectives from other organizations would be a good thing. We were committed to putting together a first-class coaching staff, but these things are hard to control,” Dick Williams, President of Baseball operations told the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Great American Ballpark will have some new faces on the field this season, as the Reds made many additions through trade and free agency. The team acquired outfielders Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp from the Dodgers via trade.

[Former Ross Athletic trainer Alex Geier had this to say about some of the teams new acquisitions.]

“I like bringing in Yasiel Puig, I think he’s a guy that’s been around the game long enough. If they can keep him in control I think he’ll be a good asset.”

Special Education teacher Mrs. Kappasser has her eyes on the other talented piece acquired in that deal.

“I’m really excited that we got Puig, and Kemp. Even though we don’t know how to use Kemp, I think he can bring a lot to the team,” said Kappasser.

The Reds front office made it clear that they were going to make a big push to bolster their pitching staff in the offseason. Acquiring Alex Wood, Tanner Roark, and Sonny Gray bring experience, and veteran leadership to a very young and inexperienced pitching staff.  

Unfortunately, spring training ended on a sour note for the Redlegs. All-star second baseman Scooter Gennett is expected to miss 2-3 months with a severe right groin strain. However, the Reds signed infielder Jose Iglesias to replace Gennett, along with Ohio native Derek Dietrich to bolster the bench and solidify the team with one of the best benches in the MLB.

The Reds opened the season on April 28, against the Pittsburgh Pirates. They came out on top with a final score of 5-3. After a 3 run pinch hit home run by Derek Dietrich to break a 2-2 tie, the team never looked back and brought home a big opening day win.

There is a very different vibe from this years team compared to past Reds teams. It is safe to say that new additions like Yasiel Puig, Sonny Gray, and Matt Kemp are set on bringing winning baseball back to the Queen City. Visit Reds.com to see the team’s schedule to buy tickets.

About the Writer
Keegan Nickoson, Sports & News Editor

Keegan Nickoson is a senior at Ross High School and this is his third year in Journalism. He likes collecting hats and playing video games. He is also on the baseball team for the school. He hopes to attend college majoring in Journalism and hopes to play baseball as well.