Movie Review: “To All The Boys: Always and Forever”

Characters Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky in the final movie, “To All The Boys: Always and Forever”

Katie Yu/Netflix

On Feb. 12, Netflix released its third and final installment to the “To All The Boys:” Series. Over the course of three years, the series has followed Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky along their high school romance that all started with five secret love letters and a fake relationship. But now, the series has come to a happy end. 

The final movie picks up with the female lead, Lara Jean, who embarks on a summer vacation with her family to Seoul, South Korea to learn more about her heritage and where her late mother grew up. But when Jean returns home to Seattle, she learns of her boyfriend Peter Kavinsky’s acceptance to Stanford University where they both planned on attending together. However, a wrench is thrown into those plans when Jean’s acceptance letter never arrives. 

Now planning on attending UC Berkeley, only an hour away from her high school love, the couple makes plans to work out a long distance relationship. But a senior trip to the Big Apple throws yet another obstacle into the new plans. 

Jean finds herself in love with New York University located right in the heart of New York City and across the country from Stanford. But will Jean follow her dreams and take the leap, or will she stay home close to Kavinsky? 

This trilogy is just the right thing for hopeless romantics, giving them the feeling of love and joy but also the pain of heartbreak and sadness. 

Freshman Elizabeth Hopkins-Theroux stated, “I love how these two people who [are] complete[ly] opposite but not [sic] and they love each other so much that through all of the bumps life gave them they still choose each other and to love each other no matter what life hands them…”

But the movie didn’t seem to hit the spot for the book-version lovers. 

“I would make the last movie more similar to the book, it would have been way better that way,” said sophomore Lucie Baudry. 

But Baudry went on to state, “I like how it’s written in a way teens can relate and the main character does not dramatically change herself to please the guy.” 

If you loved this teen romance story, you might just be in for a treat. The author of the trilogy, Jenny Han, also has a young adult novel series titled “ The Summer I Turned Pretty” that is rumored to be adapting to an Amazon Prime television series later this year. 

“‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’ is described as a multigenerational drama that hinges on a love triangle between one girl and two brothers, the ever-evolving relationship between mothers and their children, and the enduring power of strong female friendship. It is a coming-of-age story about first love, first heartbreak, and the magic of that one perfect summer,” stated Variety.

With spring slowly approaching, have a fun night with friends and watch the “To All The Boys:” series that can be found on Netflix or grab the books and read your heart out. And when you finish the series, maybe pick up the “Summer I Turned Pretty” series for yet another swoon worthy teen romance. This joy-filled teenage love story is one that you will not want to miss.