Fall Sports Recap

Fall+Sports+Athletes+competing+during+their+events.++

Rossonian Yearbook Staff

Fall Sports Athletes competing during their events.

As we enter into the month of December fall sports seasons come to an official end. Friday Nov. 4 marked the end of the OHSAA tournament play and started the beginning of the winter season. 

Boys and Girls Varsity Soccer:

The boys ended with the record of 9-0-1 in league play and 10-4-4 in overall play. The team ended with their fourth consecutive SWOC title win and celebrated Head Coach Kayla Bush’s 100th career win. The boys ended their season to a hard fought loss against Lakota East. 

Many of the Ross boys were a part of the SWOC All Conference team including Senior Sully Spencer who was given Player of the Year as well as First Team All Conference. Other players such as senior Jaiden Earls, Junior Luke Dunn and Aiden Yerkes were awarded with First Team. Senior Drew Willis and Aidan May were awarded Second Team All Conference as well as  junior Sam Davidson. Honorable mention was awarded to senior Lucas Witt and the Sportsmanship award was given to Junior Tyler Thoman. 

The girls took the SWOC title, making this their third consecutive title. The girls ended with a league play record of 8-0-0 and an overall of 16-1-2, ending their season with a tough loss only losing by one goal to Loveland in the second round of the playoffs. 

Ross players including senior’s Chelsey Hair, Savannah Holmes, Ashlynn Rook and Adisyn Johnson received First Team All Conference. Johnson also received player of the year along with Coach Jessica Buehner receiving Coach of the Year. Senior Cassie Gillum and Sophomores Caroline Chernock and Olivia Gillum received Second Team. Senior Cami Strahm received Honorable mention and senior Chloe Levitsky received the Sportsmanship award. 

Boys and Girls Varsity Cross Country:

The boys ended their season successfully as they continued to cut times during each race. An event that happened this season for Junior Aj Beckman was breaking the long standing record of Mr. Jake Richards. Beckman received First Team All SWOC and the Sportsmanship award. Senior Jared Archer, sophomores Kenneth Rakes, and Ben Schuler as well as Freshman Rory Summers received Second Team. Freshman Matthew Graf was awarded Honorable Mention. Boys Coach George MacDonald received Coach of the year. 

The girls team ended just as successful as they ended towards the top of the SWOC leaderboard. Senior Morgan Barnes, Erin MacDonald and Natalee Fritz ended as First Team. Senior Kylie Dearinger, junior Elizabeth Hopkins Theroux and freshman Morgan Holmes ended Second Team. Junior Maddie Graf was named as Honorable mention and Barnes took the Sportsmanship award.

Boys and Girls Varsity Golf:

The boys team record ended at 12-12 in league play and 16-18 overall on the season. The boys ended in third place being behind number two Talawanda and number one Harrison. Senior Mitchell Naehring and Jack Schottelkotte as well as freshman Logan Lampe received Second Team. Senior Brayden Burt received Honorable mention and senior Ryan Davis received the Sportsmanship award. 

The girls ended their league play at 0-5 and overall play at 0-11. This team overcame a lot by having just the amount of girls to be able to even be in the matches. Senior Sydney Prewitt ended with First Team. Senior Emma Estridge ended with Second Team, and senior Lucie Baudry ended with Honorable mention and the Sportsmanship award. 

Girls Varsity Tennis:

The team ended their league play at 4-0 and overall play at 16-0. The team ended with a perfect season by adding to their SWOC title streak adding a third year. Coach Gerri Bolin was named Coach of the year, and senior Sara McGinnis was named SWOC player of the year, First Team All SWOC in First Singles and the Sportsmanship award. Sophomore Lucy Bowling finished First team all SWOC in Second Singles, and seniors Gracie King and Lauren Springer ended First team in First Doubles. Junior Eva Hall received Second Team in Third Singles. Seniors Carli Gronas and Natalie Wiseman received Second Team in Second Doubles. Senior Olyvia Vanhook received Honorable mention in Third Singles. 

Girls Varsity Volleyball: 

The girls ended their season with a league record of 4-6 and overall record of 8-15. The girls team ended their season in the playoffs against Lakota West. Senior Gretchen Chaney received First Team All SWOC. Senior Kaileigh Schneberger received Second Team. Junior Whitley Metz received Honorable mention, and freshman Kendall Bosse received the Sportsmanship award. 

Varsity Football: 

The team ended a hard fought season with the league record of 3-2 and overall of 6-6. This team dealt with numerous seniors becoming injured through the season and hard losses but the team never gave up. After a one point loss to Northwest the team came back into the first round of the tournament beating them 41-17. The team did lose a hard fought game against Winton Woods, ending their playoff run. 

Senior Bryson Bastin was awarded with Defensive player of the year and First Team All SWOC. Seniors Ryan Iams and Jaye Warren also ended with the honor of being named First Team. Senior Frankie Gifford and Juniors Carson Adams, Riley Caldwell, Trace Kirby and Derrick Rack all ended with Second Team. Senior Kyle Becker was awarded Honorable mention and senior Sully Spencer received the Sportsmanship award. 

Congratulations to all teams and players who received awards this 2022 Fall season. Thank you to the class of 2023 Seniors who dedicated their time and effort to Ross athletics throughout the years. Good luck to all athletes furthering their playing careers at RHS or into the collegiate level. As the Fall sports end, the Winter begins, go out and support the teams as their seasons begin. You can find these schedules posted on the Ross Local Schools Website.