Rams Boys Swim Makes Sports History

The Ross boys swim team holds the SWOC championship trophy for the first time in history Saturday Jan. 28th 2023.

SWOC Sports Website

This year the Ross High School swim team made history as they end up with the SWOC title for the boys for the first time. Talawanda High School has been taking the boys title ten straight times and has been stealing the season for over 20 years. The Ross boys team came out on top this season not only in regular season but as well as in the tournament. 

Last year Talawanda beat Ross by three points due to disqualifications in some major events. Coach Joe Stewart and the team dedicated their season to win big at SWOC. This year the boys won by 52 points. 

Senior swimmer Nick Jackson stated, “This win was so rewarding because the title was taken away from us last year. There were two questionable disqualifications that cost us first place. I remember the deafening silence on the bus and the emotion that we were all feeling, both the girls and boys.”

Not only is this a major win for the boys but for Stewart as well; he is the heart of the swim team and has consistently been dedicated through all wins and losses. This season Stewart not only got to be a part of the big SWOC win, but this season he was also chosen as “Boys Coach of the Year”.

“What makes this the most rewarding win is seeing all the hard work that was put in come to fruition. The joy and happiness that our kids were experiencing in that moment was amazing to witness.There was emotion everywhere and it was a joy to watch” stated Stewart. 

The teams practice everyday during the week and have meets multiple times a week and on weekends. This year the boys took their practices to a higher intensity and have also taken each meet more seriously. Since last year’s loss the boys’ motivation had grown not only to take the win but to take back what was lost for last year’s seniors. 

Junior Conner Norton stated, “This was such an important win to me because all of my senior friends from last year were cheated out of winning their last chance at SWOC. It was nice to not only get revenge for them but to also win over Talawanda.” 

The boys also had some record breaking times during their SWOC season including Boys Swimmer of the Year sophomore Cooper Burt swimming the time of 1:46.87 in the 200 Yard Freestyle. Sophomore Connor Bennett, Burt, freshman Luke Mignery and Norton swam the 200 Yard Medley with the record breaking time of 1:39.18. 

Bennett also broke the record in the 200 Yard I.M swimming at the time of 1:46.87. Burt broke another record in the 100 Yard Backstroke with the time of 51.24. These events put the team over the top beating the Talawanda boys in the events. 

This is the first of many wins for Coach Stewart and the team, however none may be as special as the first. Burt, Norton, Bennett, Mignery, and the boys 200 Medley Relay have qualified for Districts. 

You can go watch and support the boys and girls competing at Districts Saturday, Feb. 18. at Miami University Recreational Center starting at 10:45 am for the boys and 5:45 pm for the girls . The ticket link can be found on the OHSAA website or can be purchased at the event.