Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Should There Still Be Snow Days?

Should There Still Be Snow Days?

In response to snow storms and large amounts of ice on the road, It seems as if school snow days are far from extinct. In fact, Ross Local School District has given two snow days in the past month.

A snow day is when school is closed due to heavy snowfall or other extreme winter weather. In the state of Ohio, there are 182 school days required, leaving room for only a few snow days allowed.

RHS Sophomore Olivia Johnson stated, “With the very few snow days given, I enjoy the time off. On a snow day, I like to stay warm inside, possibly hang out with friends, or play in the snow.”

Having a snow day is very rare at Ross, including 2-hour delays. To have a better chance of getting a snow day, students and maybe even teachers do a “ritual”. This usually consists of flushing ice cubes down the toilet, wearing your pajamas inside out, and putting a spoon under your pillow. This “snow day ritual” can also be known as the “snow dance”.

For a snow day, there is an inability of school buses to operate safely on their routes, and danger to children who walk to school. During this time some teachers at Ross still expect students to complete work.

RHS Junior Jack Best stated, “Having school snow days, are meant to give the students a mental break. I don’t like that I am still assigned work. The two snow days we were given not too long ago, I was very excited until I saw I still had homework on a day we didn’t have school.”

Due to different weather conditions in different states, not all schools receive the same amount of snow. This means that some schools around you may not have school while others do.

American Journalist Susan Orlean stated, “A snow day literally and figuratively falls from the sky, unbidden, and seems like a thing of wonder.” Kids show lots of excitement on school days, and would love to have another day off of school. Overall, most students often look forward to snowy days during the wintertime.