Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Winter Weather Risks

Winter Weather Risks

As for yearly averages, did you know there are about 19 tornadoes that strike each year in Ohio? Every winter in the state of Ohio, we have multiple risks with very quick weather changes.

Throughout the winter,  there is always a chance of winter storms with dangerously low temperatures and sometimes strong winds, icing, sleet, and freezing rain. The main worry during the winter for Ohioans is plummeting temperatures and high winds.

RHS Freshman Jacob Gilbert stated, “With it being the start of March, there was a tornado warning in Ross just a few days ago. This really did not worry me because we have gotten tornado warnings before, and not actually gotten a tornado.”

No tornadoes developed in Greater Cincinnati, but other places in the state of Ohio were not so lucky. With this recent tornado warning, although Ross did not experience an actual tornado, Clark Country (East of Dayton, Ohio) did. Social media from Fox 19 News explained that there was tornado debris and wind gusts as high as 60 mph reported just before five a.m. on February 28th, 2024.

RHS Junior Jesse Thoman stated, “In my free time, I like to go skiing at Perfect North Slopes. When it gets super cold out, I can just take a break inside the lodge, it’s perfect!”

As it does get cold outside, there are endless amounts of activities you can do out in the snow or cold. As some of these adventures may be fun, there is still a high rate of getting injured.

RHS Sophomore Michael Caldwell stated, “I think the weather in Ohio is very very bipolar. One day it’s super cold and the next is really hot. My favorite season is summer because I can actually go outside and play sports and hang out with my friends.”

As most people do like the warmer climate compared to the colder one, there are possible chances of heat waves. These are known as extreme heat, lasting more than two days, occurring with or without high humidity. Overall, there are weather risks during the winter and the summer.