Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Love at First Sight: Real or Pretend?

“…and it was love at first sight.” But what does that even mean? Do people just look at each other and fall in love? Get their heart broken when the stranger they just caught a glance of is already in a committed relationship? Is love at first sight even real? Well, the evidence suggests that Ross High School believes in love at first sight.

In a survey of Ross High School students, 46.2% said they believe love at first sight is real while 30.8% said they could believe in the concept with more evidence. One anonymous student defined love at first sight as, “When you meet a person for the first time and immediately know that they are the one for you, your true love, the one that you love, and the one that you have to date.” While this perfectly fits the general romcom-esque idea of the saying, not everyone at Ross High agreed on the definition of the age-old concept. 

When asked if they ever experienced love at first sight, one student responded, “Yes, when I saw my little sister for the first time.” Another student responded to the question ‘Why do you believe in love at first sight?’ by saying, “It just seems natural, I’m such a loving person and I don’t think it actually has to be just romantic.” The majority of people also agreed that something happens when you first meet a potential partner or person, even if what you feel may be infatuation or lust.

In the end, the main question to be asked about the age-old concept is; is it outdated or even cliche? Ross High says no. When asked to choose a label for the classic phrase, 46.2% said neither word fit. Ross High seems to be in the majority about this too. A 2023 study found that exactly 50% of Americans believe in love at first sight in some capacity.

All of this to say, whether it’s romantic, platonic or familial; love at first sight is real and Ross High is up with the times.