Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

The Legend of The Easter Bunny

The Legend of The Easter Bunny

DISCLAIMER: Discussion of the Easter bunny

There are many different myths about the Easter Bunny, but which one is true? The origin of the easter bunny is still unknown, but rabbits are an ancient symbol of fertility and new life. 

The Easter bunny has become a prominent symbol of Christianity’s most important holiday, even though Easter is nowhere stated in the bible. Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Christ. From a Christian perspective, Easter eggs are said to represent Jesus’s emergence from the tomb and resurrection. 

History.com says that the Easter bunny first arrived in America in the 1700s with German immigrants who settled in Pennsylvania and transported their tradition of an egg-laying hare called “Osterhase” or “Oschter Haws¨ to America. 

The children would make nests so this creature was able to lay its eggs. This eventually spread across the U.S. and the ¨rabbits¨ Easter morning deliveries expanded into chocolate and other types of candies and gifts. Decorative baskets also replaced the nests. For fun, children also started to leave out treats like carrots to attract this ¨rabbit¨ or if it got hungry from hopping all around.  

When questioned, do you think the easter bunny was once real? RHS Freshman Kailyn Ponder stated, ¨I did when I was younger, but the older I got I realized the amazing easter basket was my parents.¨ Even though people do not believe in the Easter bunny very much now Easter is still a very meaningful holiday and is fun to celebrate.