Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Be loud. Be proud. Be herd.

Ross High Times

Kung Fu Panda 4 Hits the Big Screen

Everyone’s favorite black and white martial artist is back and his story has been wrapped up, tied into a bow and delivered to all those nostalgic Jack Black fans. We are, of course, referring to the latest installment of the Kung Fu Panda franchise.

Over a decade and a half has passed since the very first Kung Fu Panda was released in 2008. Since the release, there have been three action-packed sequels added to the series with the latest, Kung Fu Panda 4, being released on March 8th, 2024. The Ross High Times gives the movie an 8.5 out of 10 for the film-making improvements and the additions it has made to the franchise overall.

The animation style is consistent with the rest of the series, but the animators were able to add more texture to surfaces and characters as well as more smooth, fluid movements to all elements of characters and environments. The texture changes are also vital to many twists and plot points made for Viola Davis’ character, The Chameleon, and Awkwafina’s character, Zhen, in particular.

By bringing back all previous antagonists, bringing back points of starting from the bottom and remembering where you come from, the storyline of Kung Fu Panda 4 neatly connects all four movies. Throughout the movie the audience sees and hears repeatedly what it means to do the right thing despite obstacles and to remember where you started. For multiple characters, the starting place was the bottom and the filmmakers made a point of showing how you choose how to improve your life and the important thing is to choose the right path, the path of doing good.

This is a repeated theme throughout the entire franchise, and with each movie there is never a reset on characters who have already learned, but growth and improvement upon previous lessons. One thing that many critics look for in effective children’s movies is lessons with realistic realizations. In Kung Fu Panda 4, there is an underlying tone of being unable to let go but the characters going through this are forcibly opened up to change in the face of adversity. The movie teaches kids to ‘do the right thing’, but more than that, it shows that everyone goes through hard times and that change, even initially bad change, can be used for the better. The film isn’t just a colorful distraction like most children’s movies in recent years (Disney’s Wish and it’s less than subpar writing comes to mind).

Rumor even has it that the series is just beginning to end. According to Forbes.com, “Universal Pictures has not yet confirmed a fifth Kung Fu Panda film. However, director Mike Mitchell told ‘The Direct’ that while he wants to do another movie, “The Furious Five” would be “front and center.” Mitchell is also on record saying, “ ‘So again, I honestly think, I mean, just with the Furious Five alone, this franchise can go on and on and on if it wants to. If the fans want it, rather, I should say.’ “ Audiences will just have to wait and see what Dreamworks has in store for the franchise.