New Staff, New Faces, New Memories

New RHS staff members pose in front of the building.

RHS is welcoming six new members to the team this 2018-2019 school year. With a wide spread of experience, the new staff’s goal is to make this year one to remember.

Mr. Buehner – Social Studies

Mr. Ben Buehner has been teaching for 12 years, one year at Preble Shawnee and ten years at Valley View. He described himself as a sports fanatic, immature, and sarcastic. “I’ve always participated in sports my whole life and have grown to let them continue to be a part of my life,” said Buehner. He added that, “I find myself sarcastic and immature because I will always be a teenage boy at heart.” He spends his free time doing what any dad would be doing: taking his kids to sports and extracurriculars. “I’m not a very interesting guy but I enjoy the time I spend with my family. My schedule can be busy but time with my wife and four kids is always something I look forward to,” said Buehner. A fun fact is that he tried out for the Yankees and broke his ankle. He’s also often mixed up with the familiar face of Joey from the TV show Friends. Buehner stated, “I am most looking forward to getting involved in this great community and meeting so many new people.”

Mrs. Buehner – Building Sub and Girls’ Varsity Soccer Coach

Mrs. Jessica Buehner has nine years of experience teaching. She is dedicated, competitive, and caring. She said she’s “always worrying” about the students and her soccer players. Buehner also expressed how she “strives to do my best and never give up,” a lesson she hopes her kids learn as they grow up. Outside of her office, she is known for her new position as head varsity girls soccer coach. She loves the game and loves being able to grow a bond with the players. Other than soccer, she can be found spending time with her husband and four kids, doing all the fun activities families do. If time allows with her busy schedule, she enjoys going kayaking and just simply relaxing. When asked for one interesting fact about her, she didn’t hesitate to say, “I used to raise orphan racoons. I know it sounds crazy but it was actually really cool.” What Buehner is looking forward to this school year sways in two different directions. From a teacher perspective she said, “I’m looking forward to the coffee shop opening, as well as being a first hand witness of seeing students support each other and succeed.” From a coaching outlook she said, “I can’t wait for the end of the year tournament to see how much our hard work pays off.”

Mrs. Hede – School Social Worker

Mrs. Jill Hede has been a social worker for 20 years for Butler Tech Success working at Lakota West and Hamilton schools before coming to Ross. If she were to describe herself in three words, she feels she is caring, kind, and very family oriented. Hede said, “I care about other people and want to make life easier for them. I expect the same amount of kindness I give but think it’s generally important to have that sense of kindness no matter what.” When not at RHS, she enjoys spending time with her family. Hede also enjoys spending her time volunteering at a nearby hospital rocking babies. She stated, “I love being able to just sit and rock them. It’s so heartwarming and can be so calming. I look forward to it every week.” One thing people may not know about her is that her husband is from New Hampshire so she’s a pretty big New England Patriots fan. Hede stated what she was most looking forward to this year: “I’m excited to meet new people and get the opportunity to help some of them in different ways. I am hoping to put things into perspective and show the warm feeling I get from the satisfaction of my job each and everyday.”

Officer Rogers – School Resource Officer

Officer Rogers has an extensive background in two careers. He spent 20 years as an athletic trainer at the University of Tennessee and has been involved in law enforcement for the past seven years at Montgomery County and Ross Township. Officer Rogers is easy to talk to, supportive, and approachable. He said, “After class meetings I was told I seemed a little stern, so I really want to let the students know who I really am. I want people to know I am very friendly and am just doing my job, but am always willing to talk.” Rogers is a big family guy and he revealed, “I’ve been married for 17 years and have two daughters. I’m blessed and they are my life.” He spends the time he has out of his uniform with his family and coaches basketball for his daughter’s team. Rogers stressed “I’m big on safety, plain and simple.” He also said, “I’m looking forward to eliminating the chances of the common issues nowadays in schools. Active shooters and drug issues are something I really want to be able to protect RHS from. Most importantly, I am looking forward to getting to know about the students and staff as their individual self.”

Mrs. Sackenheim – English

New to the school year but not new to the district is Mrs. Whitney Sackenheim. This is her 14th year of teaching after taking two years off to be with her family. Sackenheim expressed her love of teaching and said, “As time passes, it means a lot to me, that beyond my own children, I have a whole bunch of my other ‘kids’ that I was able to reach through teaching.” She also added that, “I love that every day brings something different. Teachers are also blessed to touch many lives. I love the fact that when I’m out and about, a student from five years ago comes up to tell a story about our class.” Sackenheim enjoys spending time with her husband and four children when not teaching. When Sackenheim was younger, she used to show horses and actually met her husband at the Butler County Fair at just 14 years old. She is excited to be back and is looking forward to, “Continuing to see the connection between RHS and our community.”

Mrs. Weber – Cook

Mrs. Christina Weber has been working as a lunch lady for nine years within schools. She looks at herself as funny and generous but emphasized how she’s known to be shy. One thing that she loves that people may not know is photography. She enjoys taking pictures and just the aspect of the life photography brings to her. In her free time outside of RHS, she is found spending time with her family, her two dogs, and two cats. Weber said, “Most of my time is spent juggling a schedule for my son who’s a senior.” Looking forward to the year and what it has to bring, Weber said, “I am excited to be a part of a team that cares so much. Everyone has welcomed me with open arms and been so helpful in this transformation.”

As you see these new staff members, make sure to welcome them into the Ram family.