Bengals Pick Up New Draft Picks

Wide+receiver+JaMarr+Chase+holds+his+new+jersey+after+being+drafted+fifth+in+the+2021+NFL+draft.+

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase holds his new jersey after being drafted fifth in the 2021 NFL draft.

The 2021 NFL draft took place from April 29 through May 1 in which our local Cincinnati Bengals picked up some great picks including a player who went to a nearby high school. 

With the fifth pick of the NFL draft’s first round, the Bengals selected wide receiver Ja’marr Chase from Louisiana State University. Chase caught 84 passes for 1,780 yards and also had 20 touchdowns in 2019, his final college season, before opting out of the 2020 season. Not only is Chase a threat to the defense, but he also has experience playing with Cincinnati’s quarterback, Joe Burrow. 

“When Cincinnati brought in Burrow a year ago, it devised its scheme around Burrow’s strengths and that includes some of what he ran while at LSU with Chase,” said Glen West of si.com.

In the second round of the draft, the Bengals selected offensive lineman Jackson Carman. This won’t be Carman’s first time in the queen city though. Carman attended Fairfield High School where he got looks from multiple division 1 offers, including Clemson where he went on to attend. Although Carman was drafted as an offensive lineman, he was not always in that position. 

“Jason Krause, the Fairfield High School head coach who moved Jackson Carman from defense to offense his sophomore year, often ended up amazed at the result,” said Geoff Hobson, writer for Bengals.com. 

Many fans were excited for this pick, especially since the Bengals are in much need for an offensive line. Joe Burrow played 11 games with the Bengals and was sacked 32 times. 

During an interview with Hobson, Carman said, “What I love about football is the competition. Being able to work against whatever the opposition does has always intrigued me. I’ve always been a film junkie. I just want to be prepared to leave no stone unturned when I’m approaching a matchup.”

Later in the draft, the Bengals picked up eight more draft picks including two more offensive lineman, three defensive ends, a defensive tackle, a running back, and a kicker. All in all, the Cincinnati Bengals showed some hope after a long season last year. 

Bill Bender of sportingnews.com said, “Cincinnati will be an improved team in 2021, but they are stuck in arguably the toughest division in the NFL. A close-to .500 record would be a success, and enough to keep Taylor around for another season.”

The regular season starts on Sept. 12.